Ads

Jenggibba

Ads

THE PATIENT AMIE, ACT III

THE PATIENT AMIE ACT III

Act III, Scene One
Fakaramba and his wife (Sally) discuss about how to eliminate Amie from the compound. Yasin opposes the idea but later allows Amie to leave.
(Fakaramba already had a meeting with his other wife (Sally) and he now calls for another meeting to be attended by him and his two wives alone).

Fakaramba:Yasin. Yasin (Yasin answered). Sally. (Sally answered). As your husband, I invites you to this meeting so that we can see how best we can manage the family economically.
Yasin: This is really a good thought. I would also like to tell you about the outcome of my last visit to the school as I was unfortunate to meet you till now.
Fakaramba: Sally, did you invited us for a meeting or I invited you for a meeting?
Sally: You invited us, my husband.
Fakaramba: So wait until I give you chance to speak.
Sally: Ohh Karamba: Hurry up because I am sleepy.
Fakaramba: Okay. You all know that the world is suffering from a pandemic called Corona Virus and because of that prices of food is also increasing hourly.
Yasin: Yes.
Fakaramba: So therefore, I want Amie to go to her uncles so that the expenditure can be reduced.
Yasin: But you all know that she is the one who cooks on Saturdays and Sundays and helps me with a lot of works. Who is going to do all that in her absence?
Fakaramba: And she will go.
Yasin: I did not said that she will not go. But if she left who will do as she is doing? Besides, doesn't she too have the same family rights like that of her sisters and brother?
Fakaramba: I made my decision. And as the family head, not the tail, I have the final say.
Yasin: And also....
Fakaramba: Hold it! I said hold it. This is no longer a discussion but a decision so whether good or bad I care zero.
(Fakaramba leaves the house and Sally follows. Yasin also think for a while and then leave the house)

Scene Two
Hours later, Amie and her mother meet to discuss about Fakaramba's decision. They are no longer upset.
Yasin: Amie.
Amie: Yes mother.
Yasin: Amie. It is both a bad and a good news.
Amie: I am in a suspense mother.
Yasin: Don't worry, I will explain.
Amie: Please do that mum.
Yasin: Okay I will start with the bad news.
Amie: Okay.
Yasin: And don't be upset please because it will give birth to the good news.
Amie: I am listening mother.
Yasin: Okay. We agreed that you should go and live in Touray Kunda because your father said due to this pandemic the money he is spending is too much and he believes that your absence will help him.
Amie: But will my sisters and my brother also leaves.
Yasin: No he wants you alone to leave.
Amie: And why can that unfair treatment be considered a good news.
Yasin: Alhamdullila (she repeated three twice). I know that you don't forget about your scholarship issue.
Amie: Yes mother, but that is about academics
Yasin: I know that my daughter. But listen. Since I came from your school, your father did not give me the green light to discuss about the issue with him. I also know that they might try to spoil your chance of going to Qatar. But thank God, now you will be in Touray Kunda while we plans the trip. This can even facilitate the trip without any form of hindrance. Perhaps this is Allah's help to avoid possible problem.
Amie: I understand now mother.
Yasin: It is not my wish to see you leaving but after thinking about it, I believes it is the best for us.
Amie: Then I shall leave mum. But I hope you do not forget about our next meeting with the Vice Principal.
Yasin: Yes! he said that due to the pandemic and schools are closed, we will meet in his home this Monday coming.
Amie: And when will I leave mum?
Yasin: You can just start packing from now till tomorrow afternoon. I already talked to your uncle about it and he will come for you tomorrow afternoon.
Amie: Yes mum. I will now go and finish up my remaining works before I starts packing.
Yasin: Yes! Please do that.

Scene Three
A day later while Buba is away, Amie's uncle comes for him as planned by them already. Fakaramba and his wife (Sally) pretend to be sleeping so as to avoid any possible discussion with Amie's uncle. While Amie is transferring her luggage from the house to the car, Isatou and Fatou are peeping through the other window.
(Amie's uncle enters the compound and exchange greetings with Amie and Yasin).
Uncle Musa: Where is Fakaramba?
Yasin: He is in the house with Sally and other children.
Amie: Can I check on him mother?
Yasin: Yes, please do that. I wonder if they are not sleeping.
(Amie goes to where her father is sleeping and then come with a message).
Yasin: Where is him, Amie?
Amie: Mbasally told me that he is sleeping. She also told me to go and that she will inform my father about it later.
Uncle Musa: But is he feeling good?
Yasin: He is feeling good I think.
Uncle Musa: Then he should come.
Yasin: Musa you are somehow right but let's forget that and do as he said.
Uncle Musa: But I don't understand, Yasin.
Yasin: We are used to such so let's go.
Uncle Musa: Okay then. (He then entered the car).

Scene Four
The following day afternoon, Buba realizes the absence of Amie and he goes directly to Amie's mother (Yasin).
Buba: Mother.
Yasin: Yes Buba. I even thought that you are not around.
Buba: I was in my room reading a book written by Modou Lamin Sowe.
Yasin: But who is this Modou Lamin Sowe? Because I heard Amie also talking about him before.
Buba: He is an immerging West African writer and a young scholar.
Yasin: Okay that's good.  Keep trying. I always tell the same thing to Amie.
Buba: Okay! Where is Amie even?
Yasin: Amie is now in Touray Kunda.
Buba: Why? For what?
Yasin: Because your father wants to be there. He suggests that due to the current pandemic, Amie should leave the compound so that he can spend less.
Buba: Which means that we are also leaving?
Yasin: No he want you guys to stay.
Buba: Why this selective justice?
Yasin: He is the head so he makes the final decision.
Buba: Then I will also leave for my mother's compound.
Yasin: No. Don't do that.
Buba: That will be fair.
Yasin: I know but don't do that.
Buba: I don't understand all what father is doing. He is never fair since I knew myself. His principles are never based on Democracy, they are not even based on the Shariah law. He just do things as my mother wants.
Yasin: Buba. This is not a thing you should talk about. In fact, do you know that this will help Amie more than anyone else?
Buba: How do you mean?
Yasin: Before telling you this, I would like you to keep it as a secret.
Buba: Okay mum. I promised.
Yasin: Good. Amie should leave for Qatar as soon as this pandemic is gone.
Buba: For..for What?
Yasin: For studies based on the scholarship awarded to her.
Buba: Alhamdullilla. (He repeated twice and bowed down in a form of worship for about thirty seconds and then raised his head.) And?
Yasin: Knowing all that is happening, I believes this a work of Allah.
Buba: Did father against this success?
Yasin: He does not allow us to discuss about it. He is not even aware about it.
Buba: So what are you planning
Yasin: We should meet the Vice Principal to discuss about it.
Buba; I wil....
(Fatou enters the house without even greeting)
Yasin: Go and answer Buba.
(Buba and Fatou leave).

No comments:

Post a Comment

ECOWAS FIRST APPROACH TO THE NIGER CRISIS IS IN ITSELF A FAILURE

By Sulayman Lecturer Darboe  ECOWAS FIRST APPROACH TO THE NIGER CRISIS IS IN ITSELF A FAILURE Foremost, I want to express explicitly that I ...

My popular posts