Ads

Jenggibba

Ads

THE PATIENT AMIE, ACT IIII

THE PATINT AMIE
Act IIII, Scene One

It is six days since Amie left and her two sisters are not able to do the type of works she was doing before leaving. Sally realises that her children cannot cope with those works so she decides to meet her husband to discuss about it..
 
Sally: Karamba. (Fakaramba answered). I want to tell you something.
Fakaramba: Yes what is it?
Sally: Okay. You know that Isatou and Fatou are still school going children and I am also advised to stop working a lot. And still there are lot of works that had to be done daily.
Fakaramba: What type of works are you talking about Sally?
Sally: Sweeping every part of the compound, cooking, laundering, fetching water, washing the plates, cleaning the toilet and so many of them.
Fakaramba: Yes. But those works were in existence since this family came to being. So what do you want, Sally?
Sally: Karamba, this is not something to argue. The children normally wake up at 7:00 and prepare for school. After school, they relax and watch TV later. At night they, they go for studies. This is the way w.....
Fakaramba: I mean what do you want me to do?
Sally: I want you to look for a housemaid.
Fakaramba: That is not a problem. I will do that before next week.
Sally: Good. That's what I want to hear from you. This is for us all.
Fakaramba: I know. This is a good idea.
Sally: Okay. I need to take a shower before I start watching the TV.
(Sally leaves and left Fakaramba alone listening to the radio).


Scene Two
Two days later the housemaid arrives but she was already told about some of the things concerning her would be works. Fakaramba introduces her to Sally and left them to discuss as Sally should be the one to tell her what to do.

(Sally and the housemaid are the only ones discussing in the room)
Sally: You are welcome to the family, Mariama. Perhaps you were briefed about the work you should be doing. Anyway, you should sweep all parts of the compound including the house everyday, launder clothes every three days, wash the plates everyday, iron the dresses every four days, fetch water from the well everyday and so on. 
Housemaid: Sorry Ma, but I don't know what that "and so on" contains.
Sally: But it is simple. You should expect to be sent to the shop or other places by any of my children because we are paying you.
Housemaid: I heard clearly all that you have just said. But I think you know how difficult is to do all this works without an aid?
Sally: Is your job anyway, let's go to the payment.
Housemaid: That's where I am even heading to.
Sally: How much do you want to be paid?
Housemaid: That depends on my work.
Sally: What do you mean?
Housemaid: Firstly, we need a calculator.
(Sally called on Buba to bring a calculator and start calculating what the housemaid is going to say).
Sally: You can go on now, Mariama.
Housemaid: Okay. I need to be paid D50 for sweeping all parts of the compound everyday per day, D50 for laundering fifty clothes, D25 per day for washing the plates, D50 for ironing twenty five clothes and D30 for fetching ten buckets from the well. Regarding the shop, I never expect to be sent by someone I am older than. I prefer to be sent by elders for free than children for money. Our culture does not know that.
(They all for a while bent looking at the calculator while Buba press the digits).
Sally: More than D12,000 per month? Do you know that Karamba is getting an annual salary of D7,000?
Housemaid: But fair enough Ma, the works mentioned were too much.
Sally: You know what Mariama? Just go . We will another person to do this for D1,500.
Housemaid: Okay Ma. Thank you.
(The housemaid leaves and Buba is still speechless with the calculator looking at his mother).


Scene Three
It's Monday and Amie, her mother and her uncle meet the Vice Principal of the school to discuss about the scholarship issue.
(After the usual greetings and a show of hospitality, the discussion starts).
Vice Principal: Amie, hope you did not stop reading?
Amie: (Smiles). No. Reading is my hobby.
Vice Principal: Good.
Uncle Musa: Boy. I sometimes wonder how Amie came to realise the importance of reading at this age. She at the moment changed all my children in the compound to good readers. I wish she was around since.
Vice Principal: Not a surprise boy. She is not the type to waste your energy trying to change her. Anyway Yasin, this scholarship issue will be okay as Musa was my classmate, so I will discuss more about it with him. For you, you can concentrate on your daily activities.
Yasin: Yes Sowe, it is the reason behind his presence here.
Vice Principal: I understand now. So as far as the pandemic is decreasing, we are hoping that she might travel in two months. The programme will take her seven years to complete and after which she will serve the government of Qatar for two years as agreed. During her stay there, she will come for one month holidays annually.
Uncle Musa: Meaning nine years before she will be able to decide where to work?
Vice Principal: Yes! Definitely. And part time jobs are available for her to earn money plus their monthly stipend.
Uncle Musa: That is really Good.
Vice Principal: So we will discuss more as we approach the day.
(They now forgot about the scholarship issue and they are now talking about the Corona virus).

Scene Four
A month later, Amie and her uncle meet the Vice Principal.

(After the usual greetings and the usual friendly discussion, they now start talking about the scholarship).
Vice Principal: Okay. On a more serious note Boy, Amie should travel on the 24th of June, 2020. Do you hear that Amie? So start preparing.
Amie: Okay.
Vice Principal: And boy, try to train her both emotionally and physically.
Uncle Musa: Don't worry boy.
Vice Principal: I hope you are reading those books about Qatar, Amie.
Amie: Yes Vice! I am now learning a lot with the help of that book.
Vice Principal: You never fail me, I know. So boy, there is no more to discuss regarding the scholarship issue hence we already discussed a lot on phone. This is just a formality.
(They now continue on to discussing different topics like life in the university, living in Qatar and the current situation of the world).











No comments:

Post a Comment

ECOWAS FIRST APPROACH TO THE NIGER CRISIS IS IN ITSELF A FAILURE

By Sulayman Lecturer Darboe  ECOWAS FIRST APPROACH TO THE NIGER CRISIS IS IN ITSELF A FAILURE Foremost, I want to express explicitly that I ...

My popular posts